Writer, publisher and social media professional with over 9 years of experience in marketing, project management, and writing for print and online. Author of two published novels and currently writing first collection of poetry, Glass Scissors.
May 2015 – Present Freelance Digital Coordinator, Wasafiri
Currently working freelance at Wasafiri magazine one day a week to manage their Facebook and Twitter channels. Longer-term projects include improving their SEO, creating a monthly newsletter and rebuilding their website.
Oct 2013 – Present Workshop Facilitator, Eastside Educational Trust
Worked with Eastside Educational Trust on projects with Wasafiri Magazine and Asia House to run workshops at 8 different schools in London, Birmingham and Manchester teaching creative writing to groups Year 9, 12 and Year 13 students. I taught the students and developed their work for publication.
Working part-time to manage and develop a membership organisation focussed on promoting the status and contribution of social groups traditionally underrepresented within all areas of publishing, beginning at Booktrust and then winning a Grants for the Arts to move the project to City University London. Achievements include:
- Increasing the membership by 275% in two years
- Hosting and organising a full-day conference at City University, as well as events at the London Book Fair, Free Word Centre and Stationers’ Hall
- Chairing a Steering Group that includes representatives from the Publishers Association, Independent Publishers Guild, Booktrust and Skillset
- Management of equalityinpublishing.org.uk boosting traffic to website, as well as writing a monthly newsletter and managing social media channels.
October 2009 – Present Managing Director, Limehouse Books
Founded an independent publishing house, which has published 16 titles since 2010. My primary skills and experience from this venture include:
- Line management of a team of designers, editors and assistants
- Art direction of brand identity, covers and typography
- Managing social media channels on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Slideshare, Instagram and MailChimp, and creation and content management of limehousebooks.co.uk
- Event organisation, including participation in Story of London Festival, the Islington Festival, and library authorities
- Management of budgets, cash flow and bookkeeping.
April 2006 – October 2009 Marketing Manager, Little, Brown Book Group
Managed the consumer and trade marketing for the Abacus and Virago imprints. This included the bestselling authors Alexander McCall Smith, Sarah Waters and Iain Banks. Skills and achievements include winning awards and recommendations from the NMA, AOP and BMS for campaign work on Alexander McCall Smith’s Corduroy Mansions and No.1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, and a number of high-profile nationwide campaigns, which included Tube, Adrail and online advertising.
April 2005 – April 2006 Trainee, Faber and Faber
Trained in six different departments over the course of a year, including editorial, sales and production. Also studied copy editing and proofreading.
Sept. 2001 – June 2002 University of Chicago / Postgraduate in Comparative Literature
Sept. 1997 – June 2001 University of Cambridge / B.A. Hons 2.1 in French and Italian
Sept. 1990 – June 1997 Handsworth Grammar School / 4 A grade A Levels in English, French, Economics and General Studies; 10 G.C.S.E.s
Copywriting, art direction, event organisation, InDesign, Photoshop, WordPress, Mailchimp, basic HTML.
Bob Dylan, reading Bukowski, Bellow and Faulkner, playing my Takamine guitar, gym and Scrabble.
Available upon request.